Famous-Barr French Onion Soup
- 3 lbs. peeled onions (a 5 lb. bag equals about 3 lbs. peeled)
- 4 oz. butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tblsp. paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup all pourpose flour
- 3 qts. beef boulion or Vegatarian soup stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tsp salt
- Slice onions 1/8" thick
- Melt butter in a soup pot. Add onions. saute slowly for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add other ingredients except the boulion. Saute over low heat for 10 more minutes.
- Add boulion and simmer for 2 hours.
- Salt to taste
Yield: 2 quarts soup
In fireproof casserole or individual bowls add 8 oz. hot soup, three slices bauget, and 1 1/2 oz. Swiss cheese. Place under broiler until golden brown.