Satchel Paige was one of the more livley characters to play in the Negro Leauges. He may have pitched in 100 games a year. He was known for his fastball and his control. One of the many stories about Paige was that he once got into a throwing contest. Who could throw a ball closest to a knothole in a fence. He asked if the ball would would fit THROUGH the knothole. He then walked up to the fence to check. Once convinced that the ball would just barely fit through the hole, he stepped off the distance and threw the ball through the hole.
Paige carried his "Six Rules for Staying Young" on a business card. Sage advice, I share with you now.
- Avoid fried meats which angry up the blood.
- If you stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
- Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
- Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in society. The social ramble ain't restful.
- Avoid running at all times.
- Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.